Wild Mushroom and Cheese Pita Pizza
Procuring a fresh bag of lightly grilled pita bread and a bag of medium-fine bulgur on my visit to The Mediterranean Market in Las Vegas, I happily prepared a big tray of Tabbouleh served alongside pita wedges and, a big bowl of Fattoush from my friend Marcelle’s Lebanese American Kitchen.
Using more than a half dozen of the soft fluffy pita breads, some sliced for the taboulleh appetizer, others, baked from moisture to a crisp texture for breaking up and tossing into the salad, then left a few fresh pita rounds for using up.
While Pita bread has many versatile uses, including being the perfect scoop for hummus and other Mediterranean or Middle Eastern specialties, it also serves as a perfect base among any diverse variety of toppings served up as a quick and easy Pizza. Wild Mushroom with Cheese Pita Pizza is a spectacular combination pick but you can mix and match from any among complementary ingredients that you happen to have on hand.
For a little pop on the garnish I decided to use micro-greens, these are of the broccoli variety which add a mild, tender crunch and naturally pack lots of nutrients. #Goodforyou.
Other coarse chopped herbs would also be lovely but in this case a nice light hand toss of these greens after cutting the ‘pizza’ into segments made a nice showing while providing delight at an al fresco gathering among friends.
- one pita bread per person
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms per pita
- 1/4 cup sliced cremini mushrooms per pita
- couple pinches coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, cheddar or other hard cheese, or combination of both
- micro greens for garnish (optional)
- Heat butter in large sized nonstick saute pan on medium high heat, swirl to cover the bottom of the pan
- Tumble in the shiitake and cremini mushrooms, let mushrooms sear a minute or two to form a light crusting, sprinkle with salt, shake pan or stir continuing to cook until mushrooms are soft cooked and tender, transfer to a platter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Brush pita bread with olive oil
- Scatter over half of the cheese
- Top across with sauteed mushrooms
- Finish sprinkling over remaining cheese filling in bare areas
- Bake around ten to twelve minutes until pita is hot and cheese is melted, cut pita pizza style into wedges
- Toss micro greens all about for garnish