Watercress, Cucumber, Asparagus Salad, Dijon Vinaigrette with Tarragon
In these east coast parts, sunshine and uncommonly warm temperatures provided for lots of fresh air and outdoor activity over the long weekend. In my case, it also sharpened the senses for a fresh mix of green veg.
Watercress. Bright colored rounded leaves attach to the delicate stems on this unique variety whose pleasing bite is sturdy enough to balance with many flavor partners and dressings. I’ve come to call it ‘fancy watercress.’ Pretty isn’t it?
And it goes quite well with two other standout pics among the day’s choice produce displays, asparagus, and long seedless cucumber. The long seedless cucumber is important here I think since its naturally slender shape offers a proportionate size contrast to fancy watercress, besides it has a nice little crunch too.
For the finishing toss, we have Dijon Vinaigrette with a tablespoon of chopped tarragon.
Um. Tarragon. Tarragon is like the bold girl among the family of herbs, too much of her is not so pleasing but in small doses, she’s a fabulous highlight to the crowd.
It’s sunny again today and with my grandson now having me daily wear his old ‘fit-bit’ I was shortly alerted I need a few more steps filling up the hour so I’m off again to plenty of fresh air and outdoor activity. Who knows I may even gather another sharpening of the senses for an additional fresh veg mix combination, but first let’s enjoy Watercress, Cucumber, Asparagus Salad, Dijon Vinaigrette with Tarragon.
- For Preparing the Dressing:
- For the Dressing:
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- pinch or two coarse kosher salt, more or less to taste
- couple grinds cracked black pepper
- one stem tarragon, leaves removed, chopped
- For Preparing the Salad:
- 2 bunches watercress
- 1 long seedless cucumber, sliced about a quarter inch thick, then cut in half
- 10 thin asparagus spears, tough ends removed, blanched in boiling water for one minute, refreshed in ice water, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces on the diagonal
- Preparing the Dressing:
- Whisk mustard and vinegar together then a little at a time whisk in the olive oil until the mixture is fully emulsified. Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, chopped tarragon, whisk again. Store additional dressing for up to three days
- Preparing the Salad:
- Stir together cucumber and asparagus lightly toss through the watercress. Drizzle on the dressing to lightly coat ingredients, toss again, adding in more dressing to taste, check seasoning, adjust to taste, serve straight away