Looking for tasty edibles for the holidays? These little Shrimp Toasts are delightful served with cocktails or as part of selected Dim Sum bites. Shrimp Toasts may be prepared in advance, frozen, thawed in the refrigerator and fried just before serving.
The light shades of pinkish shrimp color peek out interspersed between thin bright green specks of scallion bits and orange peel enliven any platter including a long simple white dish hosting a small glass bowl of a soy and rice wine vinegar dipping sauce for added extra zing.
1 hour, 15 minutes
Fry Shrimp Toasts in a Deep Fryer or Large Deep Frying Pan
Uncooked Shrimp Toast may also be Frozen,wrapped in freezer paper and defrosted in refrigerator the night before frying and serving.
- 1 Loaf White Bread, Extra Thin, crusts removed (Pepperidge Farm)
- 1 pound shrimp, thawed, cleaned, dried of moisture with paper toweling, chopped coarsely
- 2 egg whites
- 6 thin scallions, chopped finely
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 1 Tablespoon orange peel, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Oil for Frying
- For the Dipping Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Recommended Equipment: Deep Fryer
- In the bowl of a food processor pulse together the shrimp and egg white forming a coarse paste, transfer to a glass mixing bowl then gently stir in the scallions, ginger, orange peel, chili sauce, and sugar, refrigerate shrimp mixture for at least a half hour then using a mini spatula, one slice at a time, spread mixture across bread including into the corners, slice each piece in half on a diagonal then set onto a parchment covered baking sheet
- Fry shrimp toast rolling over until golden on both sides before placing onto a paper towel to absorb grease, serve immediately with dipping sauce.
- For Preparing the Dipping Sauce: Stir ingredients together, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Uncooked Shrimp Toast may also be Frozen,wrapped in freezer paper and defrosted in refrigerator the night before frying and serving.