Nectarines and Blueberries Open- Face Tart
There are desserts, and there are any day desserts, the kind that don’t require a recipe, you can quickly and easily put them together with simply what you have on hand, like a Nectarines and Blueberries Open-Face Tart.
You could use nectarines, peaches, apples, any type of berries, or even fruits frozen from another season like rhubarb, there are many variations, it’s all up to you.
Remember the old saying ‘easy as pie?’ Well this gets even easier just using a couple of store bought crusts, overlapping them together at the center and placing the created large sized crust into a lightly greased pie dish.
Cut up whatever fruit you are using, and toss it with a bit of fresh squeezed lemon, enough sugar to cover, and a sprinkle of cornstarch to thicken things up a bit. Topple it into your giant sized pie crust.
My Grandson, the J-Dude helped me to make this in maybe even less than ten minutes. Filled with fresh fruit, just bring up the pie crust sides and pleat all around, brush the top with some beaten egg, and finish sprinkling with some turbinado sugar. No need to be perfect about it, rather, the key is to simply use up and enjoy the ripe pleasures of what the season has to offer then relax and enjoy, it is after all, an any-day dessert.
- 5 nectarines, pared
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch, for sprinkling over fruit to thicken mixture a bit
- 2 ready made pie crusts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar, more or less for sprinkling over the egg wash on crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a large size pie dish
- Toss together nectarines, blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch
- Set pie crust rounds on lightly floured board, slightly overlapping and press down to connect, fit into a pie plate and bring up sides somewhat evenly around
- Spoon fruit mixture into the center of the pie crust in the dish, bring up the sides of the pie crust and pleat all around, this is a great job for the kids and it doesn't need to be perfect
- Brush crust with beaten egg then sprinkle over the turbinado sugar
- Set pie plate onto a baking sheet and bake until golden brown all over, around twenty minutes