Fresh Vegetables and Chicken Clean Soup.
Fresh. Clean. Healthy Soup.
Each week in the winter, and oftentimes throughout the year I prepare a clean soup for the evening meal.
It contains no salt, no pepper, in fact, no seasonings of any kind.
A simple flavor of pure homemade chicken broth combined with a broad selection of colorful vegetables.
It even tastes pure and fresh.
And few waistlines would be adversely affected by even stuffing one’s face with carrots, onions, celery, broccoli, kale, and peas sprinkled with some chopped scallions!
A rainbow of colors. A packed bowl of freshness. Good for You. Fresh Vegetables and Chicken Clean Soup.
- 4-5 pound small roasting chicken (sometimes called fryer chickens)
- 4 quarts cold water
- 4 carrots, peeled, pieces sliced on angle
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, cut in half, sliced very, very thinly
- 3 cups broccoli, more or less, cut into florets
- 3-4 cups kale, thick center stems removed, chopped finely
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 3 scallions, chopped finely
- Assemble items for chicken prep; a boning knife, large plate for removing chicken breasts, tenderloins on a clean cutting board
- Set whole little roasting chicken onto the cutting board breast side up. Remove any packaging inside chicken, place the neck into the soup pot. Completely lift back the skin exposing the breast. Slice one breast cutting closely to the center bone, remove breast, pull off the attached tenderloin and set both pieces onto the plate. Repeat the same process with the other breast.
- Place the whole remaining carcass into the soup pot then fill the stock pot with cold water to cover the chicken by around three inches. Turn burner onto high heat, bring stock to a boil then reduce temperature to the lowest heat and let simmer for around an hour and fifteen minutes or a bit longer, chicken should be completely cooked and tender.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken breasts and tenderloins into bite size pieces, cover with plastic, refrigerate. When stock is done,turn off heat, remove carcass to a large bowl, (cooked chicken meat may be used for chicken salad or another use) strain chicken stock into a clean soup pot.
- To the hot chicken stock add in the carrots, celery, and onions and cook on very low temperature for fifteen minutes, scrape in the chicken cubes, cook three minutes, tumble in the broccoli florets and cook another fifteen minutes, sprinkle in chopped kale, stir, continue simmering ten minutes, tumble in the green peas, sprinkle with scallions, stir, simmer another ten minutes or so and clean soup is ready for serving anytime