Carne Asada, Chimichurri, on Mini Tortillas
A couple of years back at the International Association of Culinary Professionals Conference (IACP) held in Los Angeles, the roasting box company, La Caja China, served as one of the event sponsors.
One of their prepared lunch specialties over the long weekend included numerous beef tenderloins lined up on the long burning hot grill surface whose wafting scent prompted long lines as the La Caja China chefs carved perfect medium rare beef slices served alongside freshly prepared Chimichurri sauce. They also served grilled fingerling potatoes. Amazing.
Carne Asada, Chimichurri is an easy preparation simply requiring marinating the meat before grilling then combining the Chimichurri sauce ingredients together for topping.
The general meaning of Carne Asada is a lovely two word description for marinated, grilled beef. The slices are then served inside something such as the warmed little tortillas which are perfect for holding the dish together.
As La Caja China displayed at the IACP Conference, Carne Asada Chimichurri serve as a perfect party theme and a superb dish for any gathering!
- 2 pound London broil or flank steak
- For the meat marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 fresh lime
- juice of one fresh orange
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- few grinds cracked black pepper
- For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1/2 cup coarse chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup coarse chopped cilantro
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped very finely
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or hot red pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- coarse kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- For the Assembly:
- 5 inch mini flour tortillas
- 1 lime cut into wedges to serve alongside stuffed mini tacos
- Stir together marinade
- Place beef into a large sized Ziploc bag, pour in the marinade, seal bag, move bag back and forth to cover meat, refrigerate set inside a large sized bowl
- Marinate London Broil for a few hours or longer adding a couple hours additional time if using flank steak
- Into a bowl combine ingredients for Chimichurri sauce, cover and refrigerate until serving
- Preheat grill to high
- Remove meat from marinade and pat dry, discard marinade
- Sear beef charring booth sides to form a crust then reducing the heat and grilling to medium rare
- Let grilled meat sit for ten minutes before slicing
- Serve beef on warm tortillas topped with Chimichurri Sauce and a side of lime wedges