Asparagus and Strawberry Salad
The Easter Sunday meal at my house most always means a large buffet for family and friends. A lamb seasoned with middle eastern style spices, grilled and served kabob style on skewers, there are always deviled eggs, and lots of spring salads, one of these, Asparagus and Strawberry Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Asparagus and Strawberry Salad has been among my favorites for years. The rich depth of sweet and tangy balsamic vinegar provides a good added dimension between these two simple spring ingredients.
Integrating elements of varying texture and color between dishes always seems to create an appetizing and welcoming appearance on a buffet table. Asparagus and Strawberry Salad also enhances as a decorative touch.
Asparagus and Strawberry Salad. A colorful and simple spring salad, perfect for holidays and highlighting any buffet table.
- For Preparing the Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- one pinch sugar
- couple pinches coarse kosher salt
- few grinds cracked black pepper
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 cup strawberries, cleaned, hulled, sliced
- Preparing the Vinaigrette: In a small bowl whisk together the balsamic, olive oil sugar, salt and pepper
- Preparing the Asparagus: Drop asparagus in a saucepan of boiling salted water and cook for almost a minute until vegetable is bright green colored and crisp. Immediately drain asparagus and tip into a bowl of cold ice water to stop the cooking. Lay asparagus spears on paper towels and dry gently
- Assembling the Asparagus and Strawberry Salad: Decoratively arrange asparagus onto a serving platter, Arrange sliced strawberries across the asparagus about a third of the way down. Drizzle on the balsamic vinaigrette just above, between, and beneath the strawberries. Sprinkle salad with a bit of salt and pepper