Mini Yam Pancakes, Jalapeno, Red Pepper, Scallions and Cilantro
Before you begin heaping on that good rich butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and any other sweet flavorings you use to entertain serving yams, cut one of those yams in half, scoop out a big spoonful, and taste it. Is that amazing?
Did you realize a vegetable could be as naturally sweet, and moist and flavorful as this? If you taste the yam straight out with a spoon you will likely agree that baked yams can easily be mashed without the yummy butter and yes, even without salt!
Besides nice baking spices there are other ways to prepare yams,
like maximizing their sweetness combined with some spiciness such as chopped jalapeno, and perhaps some other fresh vegetables and herbs like red peppers, scallions, and cilantro.
Baking the yams on a baking sheet at 400 degrees until fully softened is a good tip for maximizing the yams sweet flavor.
Mini sized Yam Cakes make a tasty, colorful, and healthy vegetable based hors-oeuvre choice which may be perfect for serving at your next party. Enjoy.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped finely, including green tops
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or to taste
- a couple pinches cracked black pepper
- oil for frying pancakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and dry yams, using a fork, pierce yams all around then place on baking sheet in oven Bake Yams until fully tender and a fork can smoothly insert all the way through, around thirty to forty minutes
- Transfer cooked yams to a plate until they are cool enough to handle and peel off the skin
- Add peeled yams into a large mixing bowl, mash using a potato masher
- Stir in beaten egg, add peppers, scallions, cilantro, salt and pepper
- Shape small mini patties and place onto a tray, refrigerate an hour to set
- Heat cast iron pan, add oil, once warmed, place pancakes into pan, avoiding crowding, fry on medium heat around four to five minutes until golden browned then use a spatula to turn pancakes over and cook another couple of minutes until golden
- Remove pancakes to a paper towel lined plate then transfer to a platter and serve
- If not serving right away, yam pancakes may be refrigerated and microwaved or baked on a low temperature until fully heated all the way through
- Serve plain or with a creamy dip