From take-out shops in the Dubai airport to assorted restaurant selections sprinkled about Kerala, India, I found it interesting to see the broad selection of salads on menus similar to today’s Wild Rice and Black Eyed Pea Salad, Coconut Honey Dressing.
Throughout the India trip I would on occasion glance admiringly at some of the attractive salad combinations served up at tables. Lovely colorful mixtures in blends of grains or rice or beans, tossed with bright colored vegetables and fresh herbs similarly prepared as we might offer right here in the states.
With a less than two week tour I followed the strict guidelines of Indian friends before leaving for my visit to the other side of the world which was to at all costs avoid any raw fruits and vegetables. Though tempted to expand my exploration I closely followed their advise. Once home, I put together some noted ingredients to enjoy and share while also incorporating my Kerala inspiration in using the coconut oil though you could use any alternative oil preferred.
Perfect salad for combining leftover ingredients or mixing and matching with similar ingredients in the weekly menu
- 1 1/2- 2 cups cooked wild rice, prepared according to package directions
- 8 ounce dried black eyed peas, rinsed, sifted through for pebbles, soaked overnight in water, then cooked for approximately 30-45 minutes until tender, drained, cooled, lightly salted
- 1 stalk fresh corn on the cob, grilled or blanched, corn sliced off the cob (or one cup frozen white corn cooked for around 35 seconds in microwave)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded, pith removed chopped
- 1 long green hot pepper, seeded, pith removed, chopped
- 2-3 good pinches coarse kosher salt, more or less according to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped plus small leaves for garnish
- 4-6 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- Coconut Honey Dressing:
- 1/2-1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Whisk together Dressing ingredients, set aside.
- Gently toss together the wild rice, black eyed peas, corn, onion, red and green peppers in a bowl. Sprinkle in the salt, stir through, taste, adjust according to taste.
- Gently blend through the Coconut Honey Dressing then the fresh chopped mint.
- Transfer salad to a serving platter, top with crumbled feta cheese, garnish with mint sprig.