Chocolate Crust Strawberry Pie
Happy last full day of school definitely calls for a celebration, how about a Chocolate Crust Strawberry Pie?
It is after all, strawberry season too with lots of farms around the region offering all sorts of family friendly activities to go along with the annual ‘PYO’ tradition.
The first time around we picked these gorgeous strawberries at a farm ten minutes away, actually, sort of on the fly, rather then making a day of it, due to persistent intermittent rains. A giant burst of warm sunshine late day one weekend afternoon enabled at least one fun fresh air activity… then yielding… way too many strawberries between a household of eager participants.
Despite the rains, the mud was sort of minimal on the floors of my car that I just had thoroughly cleaned, including all the bells and whistles. Sigh. Well not as much as the chocolate crust lining the pie plate anyway.
Lots of cups crushed in between the pounds provided for strawberry sauce, strawberry jam, strawberry shortcake, and today’s recipe, old fashioned style, straight from Betty Crocker herself, well, except with the chocolate crust switched in, for we all know what a romantic match strawberries are with chocolate. I also exchanged a tablespoon of water for a touch of Amaretto. Why not? Enjoy the pie, and, the celebration. Yahoo! if you too are marking the last full day of school!
- For the Chocolate Pie Crust:
- 1 3/4 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick (6 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- For Preparing the Strawberry Pie:
- 1 cup crushed fresh strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water minus one tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liquor
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4-5 cups whole fresh hulled strawberries
- Preparing the Pie Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break up chocolate graham crackers into pieces then pulse into crumbs in the food processor. Transfer crumbs to a bowl, stir through the sugar then pour over the melted butter and fold well throughout the mixture. Press chocolate crumb mixture into a deep pie dish lining the bottom and the sides as far up as ingredients provide. Place pie dish onto a baking sheet and bake for around 7-8 minutes crust sets. Remove crust from oven, let cool, then proceed in filling with the strawberries and pie mixture
- Preparing the Strawberry Pie: Into a small pot add the crushed strawberries, sugar, water, and amaretto, stir through the cornstarch, cook mixture until boiling, reduce heat and simmer for a couple minutes until mixture is thickened. Turn off heat and let mixture sit until at room temperature, around a half hour
- Assembling the Pie: Line the pie crust with the whole strawberries all around. Pour the combined strawberry mixture evenly over the whole strawberries. Set pie into refrigerator and let chill at least three hours, preferably overnight before serving
Adapted from Betty Crocker