Light and easy Shrimp Ceviche is a perfect make-ahead appetizer with ease in the assembly by simply filling the clear little party cups just before the arrival of your guests.
Technically, Ceviche is fresh fish that actually cooks/cures in any combination of citrus juice. The preparation and ingredient combinations of Ceviche commonly include some type of onion, jalapeno, perhaps some avocado, tomato, and always chopped fresh cilantro, well, I’ve never had a ceviche without that fresh herb anyway.
Today’s little appetizer came about when delivering a meal to a friend following the passing of her Mom a few weeks back. One of her other friends had prepared a ‘ceviche like’ combination except that the shrimp were precooked and while she had included some avocado, she omitted the jalapeno.
The dish had a nice flavor pop so I put together a little adaptation using roasted shrimp which ended up being a hit both at a neighborhood potluck and the next week at our Ladies International Group gathering.
Once you have your roasted shrimp all chopped, you can always mix and match your own similar combination between varying ingredients giving it a little kick with the jalapeno or combining a little creamy with some fresh cubed avocado. The color pop is so appetizing and the Shrimp Ceviche Cups set on a white platter might even guarantee you a real wow from your guests in the upcoming holiday season.
- 1 1/2 pounds easy peel shrimp, peeled, dried lightly with paper toweling, set on a baking sheet
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, washed, quartered
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, chopped
- 4-5 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- good pinch coarse kosher salt or more according to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Roast shrimp six minutes or just until shrimp are pink on both sides and firm to the touch, remove from oven, cool, chop roasted shrimp into little bite pieces
- Stir together orange, lemon and lime juices, stir in the shrimp, add in the tomatoes red onion and jalapenos, blend together
- Sprinkle in the chopped cilantro, stir through, sprinkle in the salt, stir, check seasoning adjusting to taste, Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
- Stir and check seasoning again before serving adjusting according to taste
- Use a small cocktail spoon to fill appetizer cups, serve along with plastic mini forks