Since fresh summer dishes are often styled towards enjoying time outside of the kitchen, I thought this Quick and Easy Appetizer, Garden Tomatoes, Feta, fresh Oregano in Athens Mini Fillo Shells fit the course, especially if juicy ripe tomatoes are now bursting forth in your garden.
Perfect for even a last minute get together, I purchased these little gems in the freezer section of the supermarket last week, coming upon them quite accidentally with some puff pastry and phyllo dough on the grocery pick up list. You simply need to line them on a cookie sheet and pop them into a preheated 350 oven for ten minutes. The flavor is delicate and crispy with plenty of options for versatility from sweet to savory in filling choices. So for today, a Quick and Easy Appetizer it is. Hope you are enjoying the final weeks of summer!
- Two 9 ounce (54 grams) packages Athens brand Mini Fillo Shells
- 2-3 fresh medium sized garden tomatoes, squeezed of seeds, chopped fine
- 8 ounce feta cheese, cubed then diced into small pieces
- 1 branch fresh oregano around 6 inches long, leaves removed from stem, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil for the tomatoes, plus 1-2 tablespoons for feta
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or a bit more to taste
- 2 pinches coarse kosher salt for tomatoes, plus a pinch for feta cheese
- 2 pinches cracked black pepper for tomatoes, plus a pinch for the feta cheese
- fresh chives, a handful, approximately, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake Mini Fillo Shells according to package directions. Into a bowl tumble chopped tomatoes then pour over olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle in salt, pepper, fresh oregano, stir. Check seasoning. Add feta cubes to another bowl, stir through olive oil, a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. Gently fold the seasoned feta through the tomato mixture, spoon tomato mixture into fillo cups, garnish with fresh snipped chives.