Spiced Peach Blog Celebrates 200 Posts! Peach Cake and Peach Pie on National Peach Day
Yay! Celebrating 200 Posts today and a Happy Blog-o-versary to Spiced Peach Blog!
Coinciding is also National Peach Day with featured Peach Treats including: Peach Cake, a recipe of Aunt Betty’s, typed on a yellowed, splotched, file card of many years past, and Open Face Piled High Peach Pie with Blueberries, and, last seasons, Peach and Blueberry Tart.
Thank you to all of you who have supported Spiced Peach Blog from the beginning and to all of you who have joined in along the journey, you are greatly appreciated!
Continuing on along the spice road of food and friendship sharing seasonal foods with an international twist and always a Shared Table for all.
Thank you very much again for the special memories and moments.
Bon Appetit. Yours Truly,
- For the Dough:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/ teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 pound butter, cut into tiny bits and kept cold
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cold
- 2 1/2- 5 tablespoons, ice water, dribbled in as needed until dough forms
- 1 egg, beaten lightly (used as egg wash to brush over dough before baking
- For the Peach Filling:
- 10 fresh peaches, pitted and sliced (enough to pile high the fresh peaches into a rolled dough placed in a pie dish or tin)
- 1 tablespoon brandy or peach schnapps
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small bits
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preparing the Dough: Add flour, salt, and sugar into the bowl of a food processor and pulse twice, add in the cold butter and shortening and pulse to a coarse meal about ten to twelve pulses. A bit at a time with the motor running begin to dribble in the ice water continuing until the dough holds together forming a ball. When a ball forms stop pulsing. Dough should be soft, if it has a 'slight' wetness pat in a bit more flour. Gather the ball of dough, press down to form a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for around thirty minutes. Spreading a bit of flour on the rolling pin and work space, roll out the dough into a circle. The sweet dough will be delicate so use a wide spatula to gently lift into a pie dish leaving enough room for dough to come up a bit all around, pinch any extra strips into dough sides if needed.
- For the Peach Filling: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Tumble fresh peaches into a bowl, add in brandy, vanilla, and sugar, stir to combine. Sprinkle over the flour and gently fold through. Let sit for ten minutes for the peach mixture to give off some sugary liquid.
- Preparing the Pie: Spoon the peaches into the dough, piling up. Pinch the dough sides all around. Transfer any liquid remaining from the peaches into a small bowl. Bake pie for 35-40 minutes, or until peaches are cooked and dough is golden brown. Remove from oven. Just before serving, toss blueberries into the reserved peach syrup then arrange into the center around the pie