Sometimes it’s not the cooking that requires so much work, but the dishes needing washing up afterward. Maybe that mention made you even nod your head and smile in agreement, after all, who really loves to do dishes? Not me.
Today’s One-Skillet Rosemary Chicken Thighs, Potatoes, Artichokes is quick and easy, along with offering the break on little clean-up afterwards. Well, you’ll want to wipe off the bread board after slicing up a nice crusty baguette for soaking up all of the delicious pan juices accumulated underneath a tight fitting lid in the baking process. You could even toss in some tiny bright green peas near the end of cooking, just for some extra color, or as an added vegetable still served in the one pot. All this in about an hour. The flavor is amazing, and now you know, so is the clean-up time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 3 tablespoons for the potatoes
- 1 tablespoon rosemary for chicken, plus 1 tablespoon for potatoes
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on, wiped and dried well with paper towels
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10 small sized new red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 lemon, cut in half
- 1 can artichoke hearts, halved, seasoned as directed below
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- coarse kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- optional: 1/2-1cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Warm oil in a skillet large enough to hold chicken thighs and potatoes with a tight fitted lid. Add in the onion and cook a few minutes on low heat until onions soften. Place thighs into skillet, skin side down and cook until lightly golden about four minutes before turning over and cooking another four minutes, turn thighs back over skin side up. Sprinkle chicken pieces with a couple pinches salt, pepper, and the garlic powder. In a small bowl stir together artichokes with a pinch each salt and pepper, and a good squeeze juice from the one of the lemon pieces, set aside. Drain quartered potatoes to a bowl with 3 tablespoons olive oil, juice remaining from lemon pieces and lemon skins, garlic, tablespoon of rosemary, a couple pinches salt and pepper, toss together well. Snuggle the seasoned potatoes mixture in between the chicken pieces. Add some chicken stock now if using, otherwise, simply put lid onto skillet, place into oven. Cook for thirty-five minutes, remove skillet from oven, add seasoned artichokes evenly around pan, replace lid, cook another fifteen to twenty minutes, when potatoes are fully softened through. Ladle a thigh, potatoes, and artichokes into shallow bowls with some pan juices, serve alongside baguette slices for dipping.