Looking for a fun party food that might be a real hit with your crowd? Mini Escabeche Cups might just fit the bill.
A colorful, tasty bite, the Mini Escabeche Cups are oh so easy to prepare in advance. Separately cooking up the fish cubes and a vegetable combination, the dish is topped off with a vinegar based mixture all prepared the day before, then simply chilled marinating for the next twenty-four hours. This leaves you only filling the cups just before your special event, well, along with stuffing in some cocktail style forks or picks for digging in. Enjoy.
- 2 pounds tilapia filet
- 1/2 cup flour, or slightly less
- canola oil for frying fish
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half, sliced into half moons- then cut in half again for small quarter moons
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled, lightly crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced into thin slivers
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- coarse kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 long red hot peppers, seeded, sliced, cut in half
- Cube fish into small bite sized pieces. Sprinkle paprika, a couple pinches salt and pepper into the flour then toss with the fish. Heat the oil in a large size saute pan, add fish a batch at a time to avoid crowding and cook fish on medium high heat until just cooked and golden all around, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer cooked fish to a paper towel lined plate to absorb grease then transfer to a long glass dish evenly spreading the cooked fish cubes. Add vinegar, water, thyme, bay leaf, hot chili peppers to a saucepan, bring to boil then simmer on low heat for ten minutes, turn off heat. Meanwhile, pour olive oil into a warmed medium sized saute pan, add onions, carrot, and garlic and cook until softened, around ten minutes, sprinkle in a good pinch or two each of salt and pepper, stir, spoon mixture over the fish. Pour the hot marinade all over the fish mixture, cover, refrigerate for twenty-four hours. Gently stir through Escabeche, stir in a couple good pinches salt and a few grinds of pepper, stir again, check seasoning, adding more salt to taste. Spoon Escabeche into small appetizer size cups and mini appetizer forks.