London Broil, Red Wine Sauce
Have you ever thought to yourself, aw geez, just when I finally learned how to properly open a wine bottle with a really nice cork remover, why did they have to change the process to screw caps?
On the other hand, when it comes to the ease of opening items, perhaps this is a big break for many.
I mean really, we talk about carbon footprint while at the same time the heavy plastic packaging becomes more and more complex and cumbersome to open, even among the most basic necessities.
It seems an irony. Don’t even get me started on my thoughts about standardizing some of these required electrical plugs for our tech gadgets. Is there a reason we cannot use one type of plug for all phones and tablets? How about toys and other electrical appliances? I mean have they ever done a study on how many times around the world these plugs and wires load our landfills?
I have this vision of someday hearing something like, ‘Oh that Mary, God Rest her soul, she had such a zest for life but her will for opening packaging was more than she could sustain.’
One of the good things about this recipe for London Broil with Red Wine Sauce, besides easily creating an amazing flavored sauce to go along with your grilled London Broil in less than fifteen minutes, is that nothing in the recipe involves any complexity of plastic package opening, especially now that you can simply twist off your wine bottle, and thus your zest for life may continue, making this not more than you can sustain.
- 2 pound London Broil around one and a half inches thick
- couple good pinches coarse kosher salt
- couple pinches cracked black pepper
- For the Red Wine Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- few sprigs fresh thyme and a few pieces fresh basil (optional)
- 1 1/4 sticks cold butter, cut into small bits
- coarse kosher salt
- any fresh herb sprig for garnish
- Let meat sit out for at least a half hour or more before grilling
- Preheat grill for ten minutes
- Sprinkle London Broil with a couple pinches coarse kosher salt and some cracked black pepper on each side
- Place London Broil on the hottest part of the grill to sear meat and continue to cook for around 8 minutes before turning over and cooking another 8-10 minutes for medium rare, one and a half inch thick London Broil
- Remove from grill, tent for ten minutes before slicing against the grain
- Preparing the Red Wine Sauce: In a small pan boil together the red wine, vinegar, shallots and herbs until reduced to a little less than a half cup. Remove pan from heat add in a couple tablespoons butter then immediately whisk to incorporate the butter. Once the butter is incorporated, return pan to the lowest heat setting and add in the rest of the butter a tablespoon or so at a time, whisking continuously to prevent sauce from breaking. Strain sauce, return to pan, sprinkle in a couple pinches salt, stir, check seasoning, adding more salt if needed. Use a small ladle to pour Red Wine Sauce onto plate before topping with sliced London Broil. Garnish with a fresh herb sprig