There are times when one must stand up for themselves, including those times of temptation, and this may mean war.
We eyed each other from a short distance, those large brown eyes, that visible tall, muscular presence. I moved closer to my destination, slowly, very slowly, while never losing sight of that brazen sort, lacking in domestication, wild, while at the same time swooning, capturing me in. My heart was beating wildly for my instincts knew exactly what that beast wanted from me.
I could not succumb. What about my readers I thought. What about tomorrows Post on Kale Salad, Creamy Caesar, Cheesy Potato Skin Croutons? And so I held off, I waited. Until dusk, when I just couldn’t bear it any longer, fumbling about to find my hearts desire, and then I grabbed it.
I took that bottle of black ground pepper sprinkling it all about and beneath me, leaving no spot untouched. Oh how I felt so released. It was war. And those deer are not going to eat up my garden again.
- 1 1/2-2 cups kale per salad, leaves sliced from stem, stacked, rolled up, cut in half, then chiffonade into thin bite sized strips
- 1 red onion, cut in half, very thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- creamy Caesar dressing, recipe below, amount tossed to taste, half cup or more
- 6 cheesy potato croutons, per salad, plus extras, recipe below
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 flat canned anchovies
- 1 lemon, seeded and juiced
- 1 1/2- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 shakes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- pinch cracked black pepper
- pinch coarse kosher salt, optional to taste
- 3- or more small day old cooked baked potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- 1 pinch coarse kosher salt, optional, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Into the bowl of a food processor add in garlic cloves and anchovies, pulse until smooth, a few times, approximately. Add in the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, mayonnaise, and pepper, pulse until smooth around thirty seconds or a bit longer until smooth consistency. Use a spatula to transfer dressing to a small bowl, refrigerate until salad assembly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop out potato and reserve for another use. Using kitchen shears, cut potatoes into small square pieces lining onto a baking sheet. Using a small baby size spoon, drizzle a tiny bit of melted butter onto each potato skin square, bake in oven for five minutes before removing tray and sprinkling grated cheese over tops. Bake crouton skins another five minutes or longer, until cheese is fully melted. For crunchier skins, broil for a minute or so until golden brown. Sprinkle over assembled salad immediately before serving.
- Add thin bite size kale strips to a large salad bowl, tumble in red onion, toss. Add in creamy dressing 1/4 cup at a time, tossing lightly to coat leaves to desired amount, sprinkle over a pinch of salt and pepper and half of the Parmesan cheese, toss. Platter salad into individual shallow bowls, evenly sprinkle onto each salad the remaining Parmesan cheese and chopped hard boiled egg, place a half dozen cheesy potato croutons onto each salad serving extras on the side.