Eggplant Panini on Sourdough with Roasted Red Pepper, Garlic & Provolone
Full flavored Eggplant Panini, hearty enough for chilly temps and light enough to enjoy in any season!
Once sliced, the eggplant can be roasted in the oven at the same time as the red peppers and the garlic.
Wiz up the roasted garlic and red peppers to create your lovely sauce, perfect for spreading!
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 3 red peppers
- 1 half head garlic, unpeeled
- olive oil
- coarse kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 slices sourdough bread per sandwich
- 1-2 pieces basil per sandwich
- 2 slices Provolone cheese each sandwich
- butter or olive oil for frying sandwich
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Preparing the Eggplant: Cut off ends. Slice lengthwise into even slices. Set eggplant slices onto a parchment lined baking sheet pour over around 5 tablespoons oil and a few pinches of salt, toss well to combine. Line eggplant slices on tray then roast for twenty minutes or longer, until tender through, remove from oven.
- Preparing the Roasted Red Peppers: Place red peppers onto a parchment lined baking sheet, toss with a couple tablespoons oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt, roast around forty minutes, tossing peppers halfway through and continuing to cook until peppers are blistered and softened. Remove from oven, place into a Ziploc or brown paper lunch bag, close top. Let peppers steam in bag for ten minutes. Remove peppers from bag, pull out the stems, peel off the outer skin, open the peppers one by one and remove seeds, rinse gently in cool water to dislodge any hidden seeds, dry peppers well with paper toweling
- Preparing the Roasted Garlic: Place whole head of garlic into a small bowl or dish, add water to cover the bottom, around a half-inch, cover with aluminum foil, set into oven on the same tray as the roasted peppers, cook 30 minutes, remove from oven and set aside until cool to touch. Lift roasted garlic head from dish, separate the inside garlic from the outer wrapping of each clove, setting the roasted garlic meat onto a small plate
- For the Roasted Pepper and Garlic Spread: Coarsely chop the roasted peppers and set into the bowl of a food processor, add in the roasted garlic meat. Pulse until blended and smooth, sprinkle with a pinch or two each salt and pepper
- Preparing the Sandwiches: Place two slices roasted eggplant onto the bottom slice of sourdough bread, top with a couple leaves of basil, then 2 slices of Provolone cheese. Generously spread the roasted pepper and garlic mixture onto the top slice of the bread then set on top of the cheese. Grill buttered sandwich in a Pannini maker, alternatively use a fry pan weighted down with a fitted plate and cook in butter or olive oil until golden brown on both sides