Goodness. Here is a new one, I literally accidentally published today’s post without the story. I always wondered how folks could possibly do that. Now I suppose it really is easy after all, you simply click on the Publish button instead of the Save Draft. Yikes. Oh well. Today’s story really wasn’t only about a recipe, but rather the possibilities of treasured memories gathered over the holiday season by bringing the young ones into the kitchen and sharing special moments together as part of the festive food preparations.
There are lots of creative opportunities beyond traditional Christmas cookie baking, stirring the caramel through big bowls of fluffy popcorn and rolling them into balls, or perhaps even adhering assorted gum drops and candies onto the gingerbread house.
Today our Cooking with Kids: Holiday Cheese Balls provides for a little mixing or pulsing action in blending together the cheeses then adding personal creative touches of their own for the finish. Small bowls or dishes set with prepped accompaniments provide decorating fun in really any variety of choices, strips of seasoned roasted red peppers, black olives, chopped pecans, chopped fresh parsley, or any other colorful savory, perhaps even subtle flavors of sweet. Rolling or attaching individual touches provides kids seasonal entertaining contributions of their own, masterpieces that can be displayed with pride at any holiday gathering, making hearts feel happy and bright. Like I said, the real story is not only about the ingredients chosen, it’s the possibilities of the treasured memories gathered together, these are the special moments of the season.
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces each grated white and orange cheddar cheeses
- 1-2 teaspoons Coleman's prepared British mustard
- a few shakes, or more, Worcestershire sauce
- a few shakes or more,Tabasco sauce
- 1 small shallot, very finely grated
- any selection of finely chopped fresh parsley, chopped pecans, black and green olives, seasoned roasted red peppers for added decorative touch
- Add the cream cheese into a large mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment, or, in the bowl of a food processor, whip cream cheese before adding in the yellow and white cheeses, continuing to beat (or pulse) until the cheeses are well blended together. Spoon in mustard, shake in the Worcestershire and Tabasco, sprinkle in the shallots, blend until ingredients are incorporated throughout. Remove cheese mixture to a platter, divide in half or thirds molding to a ball shape before decorating each ball. Cover and refrigerate until using. Un-decorated Cheese Balls may be wrapped in freezer paper and frozen for a month. Defrost in refrigerator, decorate, serve.