Positioned somewhere between the edge of the produce section nearby the olive bar, I spotted them out of the corner of my eye. Red and Green Mexican tortilla chips. Hmm.
An immediate brain crunch ensued, for experience has shown, possessing an enthusiastic interest in trying new food products, that it would be mere seconds before my grandson, the J-Dude, would be asking if we could get them, bright red and green Mexican tortilla chips. Being a little savvier nearing ten years old, instead of asking for the chips, he quickly suggested that we might use these for ‘Christmas Nachos.’ No self-respecting, admiring, grandmom would turn down such a clever idea.
With so few ingredients today’s recipe is great for Cooking with Kids: Festive Ground Turkey and Black Bean Fiesta Nachos, nice for the bigger kids in your life too. It worked out rather nicely that the Bush’s Grillin’ Beans even had ‘Fiesta’ in the name, a perfect tie in for the season. The added chilies provide an extra bite, heck, you could even break out the cheez wiz and stir it into the mix, but we stuck with our simple preparation for the day.
Readied for sharing on a Friday afternoon after school I set the camera for a quick photo shoot before the whirlwind. But once the buddies arrived, there went the Nachos, and, my photo shoot with the Dude, displaying his tray of brightly colored ‘Christmas Nachos.’ Ah well. These are the sorts of little things I don’t worry about these days, having developed an easier go on the flow, which seemed to magically have happened, simply taking on a role of any self- respecting, admiring, grandmom.
- 8-10 ounces ground turkey
- pinch or two coarse kosher salt, cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon or more, Mexican chili powder
- 21 ounce can (595 grams) Bush's Best Grillin Beans, Black Bean Fiesta
- 2-3 tablespoons sliced fresh or pickled jalapenos or chopped chilies
- 1 12 ounce bag XOCHITL Totopos de Maiz, Red and Green Mexican Style Chips
- 1 cup, more or less, grated yellow cheddar cheese
- dollop sour cream for topping
- 10 or more fresh, clean, cilantro leaves sprinkled over for garnish
- Cook turkey in a skillet until just done, draining any excess grease, sprinkle in salt, pepper, and chili powder, stir. Add the whole can of Bush's Best Grillin Beans: Black Bean Fiesta, along with the chilie peppers blending well and cooking until hot, check seasoning. Place Red and Green Mexican Style Chips onto a large platter. Spoon turkey, bean, and pepper mixture on top chips, sprinkle over the cheese topping with a dollop of sour cream, garnishing with cilantro leaves.